Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Made Bone Broth from Chicken Drumsticks!

I am feeling quite happy with myself. I accomplished a lot of things on my list yesterday AND I made my very first bone broth. (!!) I love getting things on my list crossed over and I love making nutritious things for my body. Bone broth is very nutritious. My husband has always told me how good his stock from bones is, but we haven't made it since we've been married. Yesterday, I decided to give it a go since we have two packages of frozen drumsticks and Justin doesn't like drumsticks.

{If you'd like to read more about the nutritional quality of bone broth, here is a good article from the Weston A Price Foundation.}

I started with these frozen drumsticks. Don't be fooled by the "natural" stickers on them, they are probably not that natural, but it's what I had, so I used it!


I used the directions from my friend Sarah Eileen (who is wonderful and amazing!). I started out with taking all the meat off of the chicken drumsticks, as best as I could. I wasn't fanatical about it. I tried to break the bones, but I'm too weak. I threw it all in a stockpot and poured two tablespoons of white vinegar over it, again, what I had. I would prefer apple cider vinegar. Then I threw two raw diced onions and a bunch of fresh chives over it.

(My chive plants from last fall survived all winter!! I'll show you them later.)

I poured about 4 large plastic drinking cups of water over it and let it boil. After about 10-20 minutes, I tried to get off the scum, but wasn't super successful because I didn't want to remove the chives and the onions and they were in the way. I didn't worry bout it. I got some scum and that was fine with me. After boiling and taking off the scum, I let it simmer away for about 7 and a half hours. I drained off all the broth and reserved the chicken and veggies for later.

Below is what I got. It looks like a small container here, but it's actually pretty large. About 8 inches wide, 4 inches deep. YUM! It even has all sort of little pretty oils on top. Love it. I plan on cooking rice in it tonight.


And below here is all the chicken and onions/chives that I drained out of the broth. I am going to use this to make a big batch of chicken salad since Justin brought home some yummy Kaiser roll type things. (I'm not sure they are actually Kaiser rolls, but they kinda have the same shape. They might be.)


I froze the bones/fat that I used this time and I am going to put them through a second boil and get the rest of the minerals out of the bones, since they were still pretty hard. I read that most people do this, and the second broth comes out more as a clear broth, but still with all the nutrition. I'm going for it, but this time, I won't start at 4pm on the hottest day of the week. ;)

Thanks for sharing the recipe Sarah! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails