YAY! That is my first response when I see all the pictures above. This is my first time taking an already-made ugly item and re-doing it to be something cute and wonderful for me!
Inspiration came from the website Grosgrain. When I saw the old frock in the thrift store, this post in particular popped into my head. I kid you not, I immediately thought, "I could do that!" AND for $1.99 I just couldn't resist buying it and trying it out!
It took about 2-3 hours since I'm not really an experienced sewer. I did sew the very first hem inside out and thus spent approx 20 minutes ripping it out (very carefully) praying that I would not ruin the beautiful paper-thin old fabric. It was a long 20 minutes, lets just put it that way.
The Main Points:
- I decided that I liked the material from the wrong side better than the right side, so I decided to wear the finished project inside out.
- I created new side seams to make it fit me. Probably took it in about 1.5" on either side.
- I hemmed the tunic to fall to my hips, where I like all my shirts to hit.
- Covered up the hole in the fabric that the button right below the neckline had created with a piece of fabric that I ironed pleats in and sewed on.
- Covered the exposed seams in the shoulders with a rectangle that I ironed the ends under then sewed over the seams.
- Hand stitched a rose ribbon that I had in my stash over the gathering seams on front and back.
- Took the excess from hemming the tunic, wrapped it around my head and called it a headband!
And just for reference, the before picture: